Check our new site! http://www.totalequinelearningcenter.com
- Both English and Western styles of riding are taught at TELC, with an emphasis on the hunt seat, as 90% of the students prefer this style. We enhance the rider's skill with basic dressage movements and terminology, at the beginner and intermediate levels, and teach at all levels through advanced on the flat and over fences.
2014 News and Notes
There is a lot happening in 2014 so please be sure to check out the "News" link above to see what all is taking place. TELC is proud to host Pony Clinics for local recreation boards; offer summer half day camps; home school student camps and a junior weekend that will include riding lessons and a sleepover at the barn for students aged 6-12 years old! So, welcome to the TELC website, please feel free to look around and see what all we have to offer in events and lessons and we hope to see you soon!
Therapeutic Riding Program
- A therapeutic riding program is available for children and adults with cognitive or physical disorders, such as MR, ADD, ADHD, speech problems, and mild motor skill difficulties.
- TELC also joined teams with the Easter Seals during 2009 for a therapeutic riding program, which will continue in the Fall of 2014. Volunteers are need and greatly appreciated for help with the Easter Seals program. Please contact Joanne to offer your assistance. Thank you so much!
* TELC and the Easter Seals will begin a six week therapuetic/recreational program starting September 17 until October 22, 2014. Please contact the Easter Seals by calling 717-901-3993 to sign up and join! The sessions will run from 5:00 to 5:45; 5:45 to 6:30 or from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m.
* TELC and the Easter Seals will begin another program November 5 until December 17, 2014 with the same evening schedule of 5:00 to 5:45; 5:45 to 6:30 and 6:30 to 7:15 p..m. Please contact the Easter Seals by calling 717-901-3993 to sign up and join!
* A second session with Easter Seals will begin October 29 to December 10 that will include AFTERNOON sessions that run from 11:30 - 12:15 p.m. Once again, please contact the Easter Seals by calling 717-901-3993.
West Shore Recreation Board - Mechanicsburg
- TELC has partnered once again with the WSRB to provide a YOUTH Horsemanship 6 week course. The course will take place on Saturday afternoons starting Saturday September 27 and ending November 1, 2014. The course will take place from 1:00 to 2:30, please contact Joanne Hocker for more information and pricing at 717-766-4035.
- Mini Pony Clinics with the West Shore Recreation Board will be held on two Sundays, October 5, 2014 from 1:30 to 3:00 as well as November 9, 2014 from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- TELC will hold a YOUTH Horsemanship Program in conjunction with the Hampden Recreation Board as well, on Saturdays from November to December. The course is a 6 week course that will begin Saturday November 8 and end on December 13, 2014. The course will take place on Saturdays from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Mini Pony Clinics with the Hampden Recreation Board will be held on two Sundays, October 19, 2014 from 1:30 to 3:00 as well as November 9, 2014 from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- Special riding programs for local recreation boards are an important feature at TELC. Currently we have programs with West Shore Recreation and Leisure Services, Hampden Township Parks & Recreation, and Mechanicsburg Recreation Board. We do vacation packages for international clients, and are involved with programs for C.E.O. stress reduction. A very popular program with the younger children is the first pony ride experience, The Mini Horsemanship Lesson.
- The Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts have taken our courses to earn credit for their merit badges. Our riding program has also qualified for home school physical education requirements.
- TELC is a full service boarding facility, located in Lisburn, PA. We feature both an indoor and a large outdoor riding arena, as well as trail riding on woodland bridle paths and country meadow trails.
- Boarding stalls measure 10.5' x 11.5' with sliding doors, solid wall partitions, and welded wire bite guards above the partition. The stalls area bedded with sawdust, and cleaned regularly.
- Horses are fed twice daily, with the ration based on the horses level of work. Fresh water is given 2-3 times daily, more often in hot weather.
- We have a veterinarian on call 24 hours a day, and a blacksmith who visits on a routine schedule.
- Joanne Hocker, owner and manager of Total Equine Learning Center, received her B.S. degree from PSU as well as continuing education credits in riding for the disabled through PSU training courses. She has owned horses since 1972, and has been teaching professionally since 1977. Joanne has served on the Animal Health and Diagnostic Committee for the State of Pennsylvania.
- As a horse crazy kid, Jo's only dream was to raise her own "champion" of some kind. Her dream began to take shape when she started riding lessons one summer at a local dude ranch in Lancaster County. Later, she started hunt seat instruction. When she entered college, she decided that sharing information and training others was the most important thing she could do. Thirty-two years later she's still shaping her dream by opening the door to others.
*Joanne was named Instructor of the Year by the West Shore Rec Board for 2008*
Poco Be Royal "Critter"
645 Saw Mill Rd.
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055